-fPIC related error compiling hello_world.d with dmd

Alessandro via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 18 06:05:02 PST 2016

On Friday, 18 November 2016 at 13:12:14 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> On 19/11/2016 2:09 AM, Alessandro wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>> I'm almost ashamed to ask help on this...
>> I used dmd/dub on an arch linux machine for some time in the
>> past
>> without any problem.
>> Now I'm experiencing a strange problem after switching to a
>> debian
>> jessie (testing) machine when compiling even the simplest
>> hello_world
>> application :( !!
>> After successfully compiling the source file, I get hundreds
>> of linker
>> error messages of the form:
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld:
>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libphobos2.a(aaA_52e_53e.o):
>> relocation R_X86_64_32 against symbol `__dmd_personality_v0'
>> can not be
>> used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
>>
>> It looks like the linker cannot link together phobos library
>> modules
>> into the final binary or something like that.
>> I'm using the official package dmd_2.072.0-0_amd64.deb from
>> dlang
>> website, but also the package in debian repositories (version
>> 2.071.2)
>> does the same.
>> Any idea what the problem might be?
>
> Yup lots of posts about this problem lately.
> Here's my answer to an identical question[0].
>
> [0] http://forum.dlang.org/post/nvekf6$1pvb$1@digitalmars.com

Thank you for your support Rikki!
Indeed, modifying dmd.conf as you suggested solved the problem.
Sorry for duplicating posts on this: I searched for fPIC problems
beforehand but somehow didn't find that previous post.
Is this problem affecting debian users only? Or maybe just those
using testing?
Would it be an option to modify the configuration of the official
.deb package accordingly?
Thank you again!