fPIC Error

Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 19 17:14:13 PST 2016

On Saturday, 19 November 2016 at 21:14:47 UTC, Charles Hixson
wrote:
> [...]
> IIRC, LDC didn't have that problem.  I don't remember testing
> gdc. But, yes, it is quite annoying.

That's because we can maintain those compilers with the
distribution and configure them appropriately to compile with
hardening flags and integrate properly with the distro.
GDC is an issue here, since AFAIK it doesn't support PIC yet, so
for GDC - if it works - there will be some kind of workaround in
place (telling the linker to not assume PIC code, I guess).
DMD has issues because it's a 3rd-party product - ideally, the
compiler should be adjusted to output PIC code by default.
You can find more information on this change at
https://wiki.debian.org/Hardening/PIEByDefaultTransition