Array operations with multidimensional arrays

Era Scarecrow via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 19 17:53:54 PST 2016

On Saturday, 19 November 2016 at 21:05:49 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 November 2016 at 19:36:50 UTC, Marduk wrote:
>> Thanks a lot! Now I get what it means that array declarations
>> are read from right to left.
>
> The way I think about it is this:
>
> int is a type. int[3] is an array of 3 ints. Similarly, int[3]
> is a type, so an array of 2 int[3]s is int[3][2] and so on...

  A while back I was writing a Sudoku solver which used static
array types. It went something like this:

  alias Possible = byte[10]; //1-9 possible, plus final known value
  alias Block = Possible[9];
  alias Sudoku = Block[9];

  Actual Sudoku: byte[10][9][9]

  While this breaks down easily enough, if the order had been the
other way around it wouldn't have been extensible this way to
making larger structures from basic types/arrays.