Why don't Function Lambdas Cast to Delegate?

Q. Schroll via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 21 08:24:38 PST 2016

Why don't lambdas cast to a delegate if they are of type R
function(Args)? I don't see any reason to that; a lambda should
be a delegate type by default, and a function only as a special
guarantee/optimization. It just makes them cumbersome to use with
toDelegate.
Probably there is a good reason why R function(Args) does not
implicitly cast to R delegate(Args); I can imagine something
internally (memory layout etc.) causes that. I'd just like to
know.