the best language I have ever met(?)

burjui via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 21 15:49:27 PST 2016

On Monday, 21 November 2016 at 12:44:47 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> Someone could create a DIP for it though and argue for it. If
> they did that convincingly enough, maybe it would become a
> feature. I suspect that the response will be though that since
> it's easy enough to just create a template to do the same
> thing, it's not worth adding to the language.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

That's definitely what Walter would say. But I think it shouldn't
be the only argument to not add a feature to the language itself:
if some pattern is useful/frequent, and users implement it
themselves every time, it should be either implemented in the
compiler or in the standard library.

Besides that, it just seems inconsistent that D lacks this
particular feature: fixed-sized arrays are there, type deduction
is there, so where's type deduction for fixed-sized arrays?
Though I would argue that it's better to use '_' instead of '$'
to denote deduced fixed size, it seems more obvious to me:

int[_] array = [ 1, 2, 3 ];