dmd -o- option meaning changed recently? Now not creating OBJ but also not creating EXE

A D dev via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 2 13:33:28 PDT 2016

Hi list,

I'm in the beginning stages of learning D. Enjoying it, but get
some issues now and then. This is one.

When I compile single-file D programs, I don't want to keep the
generated object file (.OBJ, on Windows). I had checked the D
compiler options for this (using dmd --help), and IIRC, a few
weeks ago, I had used the -o- option (do not write object file)
with a few single-file programs, to disable the creation of the
.OBJ file, i.e. only the .EXE file got created - which is what I
wanted.

Recently I upgraded to the current version of DMD. Then a bit
later, I had a need to do that kind of single-file compile again.
And when I used the -o- option, I was surprised to see that it
did not create the .OBJ file, but did not create the EXE file
either. I have checked this today, for example. That made me
wonder whether the behavior of the -o- option was changed between
versions, and if so, why.

Also, somewhere in between the above two events, I think (but am
not sure) that I may have got a message (while compiling) that
-o- option is not supported (maybe with a compiler version in
between the other two ones), or something like it. Unfortunately
I did not save that compile command, compiler version and error
info (though I should have, and usually do), so I cannot say
exactly what that issue was. But mentioning it in case it was
right and relevant.

Can anyone explain this (assuming I got all my facts right,
otherwise please feel free to say how and where I got it wrong -
will appreciate either).

Thanks.