Why can't static arrays be sorted?

TheGag96 via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 6 12:54:57 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 5 October 2016 at 19:30:01 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> It doesn't even make conceptual sense for a static array to be
> a range, because you can't remove elements from it.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Interestingly enough, I found that using .each() actually
compiles without the [] but (as expected) creates a copy... So,
these output different values:

   thing.each!((ref x) => writeln(&x));
   thing[].each!((ref x) => writeln(&x));

Should there me a more consistent behavior here? Even if the
behavior is pretty undesired, why can the compiler consider it a
range here but not .sort()?