Building DMD with DMD or LDC

ketmar via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 15 00:39:31 PDT 2016

On Friday, 14 October 2016 at 15:13:58 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Thursday, October 13, 2016 19:07:44 Nordlöw via
> Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>> Is there a large speed difference in compilation time
>> depending on whether the DMD used is built using DMD or LDC?
>
> I would be shocked if there weren't.
i did that out of curiosity some time ago, but with gdc, and then
tested my projects, and phobos rebuilding. speed difference was
so small that it can be a usual random deviation.

yet i didn't tried ldc, maybe ldc does better. but dmd itself
doesn't use ranges extensively, so i don't think that it really
matters.

that is, maybe in some corner cases the difference will be
noticable, but most of the time building dmd with ldc/gdc means
only "let's wait significantly longer for nothing".