New to D

Mark via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 21 22:25:02 PDT 2016

Hello, Im a 3rd year Comp Sci student in Edmonton Alberta, Canada.

Ive learned how to use C, and dabbled in C++ in school. Im also
in a Oop course using Java.

I picked up the book The D Programming Language by Alexrei
Alexandrescu a few years ago.
Lately Im really wanting to get into D, as It seems like a better
version of C, and feels like java in a way.

However;

Ive run into a bit of a problem while writing some code. Im not
sure if Im doing something wrong, or maybe the things Im using
are depreciated??

Code Blocks does not give any messages as to what is going wrong.
I haven't configured anything, and am not familiar with messing
around with IDE settings.

Its directly based off of the example on page 8.

here is the code that does not compile:

import std.stdio, std.string;

void main() { ... }

void dict() {

     uint[string] dictionary;

     foreach(line; stdin.byLine()) {

         //chunk = splitter(strip(line); ## errors because of
splitter

         foreach(word; splitter(strip(line))) { ## errors because
of splitter ??

         if(word in dictionary) continue;

         //writeln(dictionary.length);  ## gives 0 ??

         auto newID = dictionary.length;
         dictionary[word] = newId;

         writeln(newID, ' ', word);

Im not sure what Im doing wrong here.

modifying the code to just print the result of splitLines results
in the entire line.
and just having splitter give a sting to print also errors.

Please help, thanks!