Is TDPL an accurate description of the D language today?

Mark via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 28 05:35:47 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 27 September 2016 at 17:53:39 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> On 9/27/16 1:38 PM, Mark wrote:
>> I've been going through Andrei's excellent book and I noticed
>> that the
>> latest printing is from 2010. Since D is still a very young
>> language I
>> can imagine it changing quite a bit within six years. So I
>> wonder if
>> there are any major inconsistincies between the current state
>> of the
>> language and its description in TDPL. Is there a list
>> somewhere with all
>> the changes made in the langauge since the book was published?
>>
>> Thanks a lot.
>
> Most things that are "wrong" in the book should be in the
> errata: http://erdani.com/tdpl/errata/
>
> There are also some things that are not wrong in the book, but
> have not been implemented.
>
> I think the most glaring difference is that "clear" has been
> renamed to "destroy".
>
> -Steve

Another thing that I found today is that the book suggests nested
structs within functions are of little use. I guess Voldemort
types were introduced into the language after the book was
published.

Should this be on the errata page? It's not exactly an error.