How it's better to store data from DB?

Lodovico Giaretta via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 5 03:26:03 PDT 2016

On Monday, 5 September 2016 at 10:00:26 UTC, Suliman wrote:
> Usually I am storing daba from DB as array of structures.
> Something like:
>
> struct MyData
> {
>  int id;
>  string name;
>  int age;
> }
>
> MyData mydata;
>
> Then I am creating array of structures:
> MyData [] mydatas;
>
> And fill data in my code. Then append it to `mydatas` to get it
> iterable.
>
> But is it's good? Maybe there there is better way?
>
> I need main -- be able iterate thru the data. Any other
> variants?

It depends on your specific use case. My advice is to try *not*
to store the data in memory.

I mean, if your first operation on the array is to filter it (but
that should be done directly in the sql queries) or if you manage
to do everything while iterating it only once, then you can avoid
creating the array. Create a range that wraps the query result
set and iterate it. This way you maintain in memory just one
element at a time. This is akin to what you usually do in JDBC (I
used that a lot, while in D I don't have any db experience).

But of course there are cases in which this advice is not
applicable.