Templates problem

deXtoRious via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 7 14:01:59 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 7 September 2016 at 20:57:03 UTC, data pulverizer
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 September 2016 at 20:29:51 UTC, deXtoRious
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 7 September 2016 at 19:19:23 UTC, data
>> pulverizer wrote:
>>> The "One language to rule them all" motif of Julia has hit
>>> the rocks; one reason is because they now realize that their
>>> language is being held back because the compiler cannot infer
>>> certain types for example:
>>> http://www.johnmyleswhite.com/notebook/2015/11/28/why-julias-dataframes-are-still-slow/
>>
>> As an avid user of Julia, I'm going to have to disagree very
>> strongly with this statement. The language is progressing very
>> nicely and while it doesn't aim to be the best choice for
>> every programming task imaginable...
>
> Ahem (http://www.wired.com/2014/02/julia/), I'm not saying that
> the Julia founders approved that title, we all know how the
> press can inflate things, but there was a certain rhetoric that
> Julia was creating something super-special that would change
> everything.

That's just typical press nonsense, and even they quote Bezanson
saying how Julia isn't at all suited to a whole host of
applications. Julia certainly has (justifiable, imho, though only
time will tell) aspirations of being useful in certain areas of
general computing, not just scientific code, but they are far
from universal applicability, let alone optimality. If nothing
else, it's an interesting example of thinking rather far outside
the usual box of language design, one with demonstrable real
world applications.