Templates problem

deXtoRious via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 8 08:45:23 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 8 September 2016 at 10:20:42 UTC, Russel Winder
wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-09-07 at 20:29 +0000, deXtoRious via
> Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>>
> […]
>> More to the general point of the discussion, I find that most
>> scientifically minded users of Python already appreciate some
>> of the inherent advantages of lower level statically typed
>> languages and often rather write C/C++ code than descend into
>> the likes of Cython. D has considerable advantages over C++ in
>> conciseness and template facilities for achieving zero cost
>> static polymorphism without descending into utter
>> unreadability. Personally, I find myself still forced to write
>> most of my non-Julia high performance code in C++ due to the
>> available libraries and GPGPU support (especially CUDA), but
>> in terms of language properties I'd much rather be writing D.
>
> Or Chapel.

It's very early days for Chapel at the moment, but I don't really
see it as being remotely comparable to D or even Julia, it's much
closer to a DSL than a general purpose language. That's by no
means a bad thing, it seems like it could be a very useful tool
in a few years, but it's never going to completely substitute for
the likes of Python, C++ or D even for purely scientific
programming. I'm also a bit concerned about how limited the
compile time facilities seem there at the moment, but I guess
we'll just have to wait and see how it develops over the next
couple of years.