Templates problem

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 9 06:24:18 PDT 2016

On Thu, 2016-09-08 at 13:09 +0000, jmh530 via Digitalmars-d-learn
wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 September 2016 at 10:18:36 UTC, Russel Winder
> wrote:
> >

> > I am certainly hoping that Chapel will be the language to
> > displace NumPy for serious computation in the Python-sphere.
> > Given it's foundation in the PGAS model, it has all the
> > parallelism needs, both cluster and local, built in. Given
> > Chapel there is no need to look at C++, D, Rust, Cython, etc.
>
> I care about performance, but also about productivity. Chapel
> still has some ways to go on the latter. Also, they are still in
> the early stages of GPU support, I think.

For computational work I'd say Chapel was just as productive as any
other language, probably better. This is though likely an issue on
which there is only opinion and no facts.

GPGPU support is not in Chapel as yet I believe, but then it isn't in
Python either.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk