How to continue after the book?

aberba via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 1 12:04:51 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 28 March 2017 at 07:27:31 UTC, I Lindström wrote:
> After getting the basics down, how did you continue when
> learning programming in general?
>
> I do have a need for which I've been trying out a few languages
> and D seems by far the best for me. Should I just start doing
> that project and learn as I go by googling and asking here, or
> are there some other things you did before starting your first
> "real" project.

If you want to practice your skills, I would highly recommend
HackerRank (https://www.hackerrank.com). They provide you with
challenges and you are encouraged to solve. Fortunately, D
happens to be supported (at least in the algorithms section).

And if you happen to be a good problem solver, you can get hired
(everything is skill based). HackerRank is quite something these
days. They have some job offers too
(https://www.hackerrank.com/careers): bottom of page.