Dub, Git, Mercurial, Bazaar

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 11 05:12:09 PDT 2017

On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 14:21 +0300, drug via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> 11.04.2017 14:15, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn пишет:
> > On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 09:55 +0300, drug via Digitalmars-d-learn
> > wrote:
> > > […]
> > > You can use local repository if you want
> >
> > But that implies something very manual, go and cargo handle all
> > that.
> >

> How go and cargo know where the local repository is to handle that?

I fear we may well have started talking at cross purposes. At the risk
of doing the wrong thing I'll reset this thread with:

Go allows for any Git, Mercurial or Bazaar repository as a dependency.
It fetches the source into the workspace and compiles into the
workspace. The go language uses URIs to specify the import so the DVCS
nature is up front – and leads to lots of vendoring problems. There is
only the Go distribution and DVCS repositories.

Cargo fetches source from the central crate repository or from a DVCS
repository depending on the contents of the Cargo.toml file. The crate
names are the only thing the application source code knows about. There
is a central repository and DVCS repositories.

Dub cannot get from a DVCS repository but has a sequence of
repositories it can reach. It is feasible that these local Dub
repositories could have been got by DVCS, but this is a manual thing
not something Dub handles, unlike Go and Cargo. I feel that Dub should
behave more like Cargo.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk