Dub, Git, Mercurial, Bazaar

rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 11 05:31:00 PDT 2017

On 11/04/2017 5:59 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> Go only uses Git, Mercurial, or Bazaar for dependency handling. Rust
> (via Cargo) allows for a central repository, and Git (, and Mercurial
> ?) repositories. Dub appears only to allow for central repository, or
> have I missed it's ability to work with DVCS repositories?
>
> If Dub cannot handle DVCS repositories, it needs to be able to.
>
> The rationale is that people can access dependencies that are available
> but not yet, or never will be, in the central repository. The use case
> that matters is working with a dependency that is not yet, but
> definitely will be in the central repository.
>
> Experience of Rust, and Herd with Ceylon, shows this to be very
> valuable to community activity.

FYI, if we wanted a user configurable interfacing to any source of
projects we would need some complicated "scripting" to allow for it.

E.g. I have a little bit of code that can help with this[0].
I'm currently designing a UI for it but ugh, it would be a lot of work
to get this working for dub.

[0] https://gist.github.com/rikkimax/4718740223748256d94b3b1474525012