Persistent key-value-store for D?

krylon via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 26 10:06:52 PDT 2017

Hello everyone,

After several unsuccessful attempts over the last couple of
years, I made a new attempt at learning D last weekend and this
time ... something clicked. So first of all, let me say that I
like it very much so far!

Over the years, I have fallen into the habit when learning a new
programming language to rewrite a certain program I first started
working on about 12 years ago. It's not so much that this program
is super-useful (it really isn't), but that it is a good way to
learn how a given programming language handles things like
concurrency, data structures, networking, and user interfaces.

One part of this program requires a DBM-like database library,
preferably one that handles concurrent read-write-access as
transparently as possible. In prior incarnations of this program
I have used Berkeley DB and Tokyocabinet.

I looked at the DUB package registry and asked Google quite a bit
now, but I did not found such a package for D. So my first
question is - did I not look hard enough? I found a
reimplentation of QDBM [1] (the spiritual ancestor of
Tokyocabinet), but it does not seem to handle concurrency at all.
Are there other options along those lines? (If there was one that
also provides transactions, that would be awesome!)

If I understand what I have read so far correctly, it is possible
to access libraries written in C or C++ from D - in that case, I
could just use Tokyocabinet directly, but I have not found any
pointers on how to do this. Is this a feasible option, and if so,
where can I find documentation on how to do this?

[1] http://forum.dlang.org/thread/mjinam$31cp$2@digitalmars.com

Thank you very much for any insights you feel like sharing with
me,
Benjamin