Fix gtkD api display

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 4 16:14:38 PDT 2017

On Friday, 4 August 2017 at 21:53:14 UTC, Johnson Jones wrote:
> When I click on gtk on the link you gave it gives basically an
> empty page(a single module).

Yeah, there is no overview page in the source code... but I can
make it create one automatically.

> http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/gtk.HButtonBox.HButtonBox.html
>
> Does not list any members to the left.

That's intentional, actually. For the left nav, I show parents
and siblings, not children (that's in the main content on the
right). I sometimes miss children there too, but siblings are
actually usually more useful to me.

Easier to see the value in Phobos since it is flatter:
http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/std.algorithm.sorting.isSorted.html

you can see the bolded isSorted showing where you are now, and
then its other siblings to navigate the module over there.

gtkd has really shallow modules with just one class per module,
so this appears less useful... but in general I find it really
easily to navigate. Maybe I could detect the one class per module
pattern and collapse it though.

> When one scrolls down to view a long page one doesn't want to
> have to scroll all the way back up to view the members list
> again.

See, this is why I DON'T use a tree over there. There's just way
too much scrolling in a tree, both vertical and horizontal. By
just showing parents and siblings, it presents the most useful
info without needing scrolling... it just doesn't work well for
one class per module.

> Since many programs spend a significant portion of their life
> searching through docs online, I think it's important to
> optimize that routine.

That's why I forked the docs... everyone else was just doing the
same boring crap so I went something fairly different.

> I'm not sure what Geralds docs look like but it might solve
> many of the problems already and you don't have to waste your
> time if you don't want to.

It sounds like ddox which is one option I evaluated and rejected
when I did my fork... so it might be ok but I doubt it is better.

The official gtk docs are the competition and I don't actually
like them either...

> I don't know how time consuming it would be to rerun it on all
> the docs you've generated... hopefully you've automated that
> too ;).

Simple case of running ./doc /path/to/gtk and waiting like 5 mins
for it. So it is slow but automatic so I can just do it in the
background.

I just hate running big disk operations on my computer... so I
need to optimize this since I run so many docs now.