rename file, execute os, etc at compile time

Johnson Jones via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 6 17:07:26 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 6 August 2017 at 23:11:56 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday, 6 August 2017 at 19:56:06 UTC, Johnson Jones wrote:
>> is it possible to do? I would like to pre-configure some stuff
>> at "pre-compilation"(in ctfe but before the rest of the
>> program actually gets compiled).
>>
>> I know it's not safe and all that but in my specific case it
>> would help.  I'll probably use pre-build events, which is
>> probably the best, but just curious about it in general...
>> I've been wanting to write a ctfe virus in D for a while now!
>> j/k.
>
> It is deliberately not possible. reproducible builds security
> ect.
> have a look at dubs preBuildCommand(?)

So it is intensionally preventing me from doing something I
should be able to do if I want without issue because it thinks I
will harm myself?

Why not a compiler switch that enables it? It's blocking
something that might be an issue but is almost surely not and
prevents the vast capabilities that it would otherwise be able to
accomplish.

I guess one can always patch the compiler...

But Dmd does give an error about security, it usually says that
the there are not source code available for compile time or
something like that.