x64 build time 3x slower?

Johnson Jones via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 7 17:01:05 PDT 2017

On Monday, 7 August 2017 at 22:56:37 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
> On Monday, 7 August 2017 at 22:19:57 UTC, Johnson Jones wrote:
>> Why would that be. Program take about 4 seconds to compile and
>> 12 for x64. There is fundamentally no difference between the
>> two versions. I do link in gtk x86 and gtk x64 depending on
>> version, and that's it as far as I can tell.
>>
>> Debug
>> x86         4
>> x64         12
>> Release
>> x86         3
>> x64         5
>>
>> The timings are pretty steady.
>
> Split up the build time in compile time and link time and see
> how the difference is distributed between the two.
> If it's distributed overwhelmingly to the link time it could be
> that you're using Microsoft's linker for x64 and OPTLINK for
> x86?

Yeah, I guess that is probably it. Forgot that two different
linkers were used... although, Not much is being linked. Visual D
doesn't split up the two easily, I suppose I can't separate them.
It should probably do individual profiling between the two.

Usually the build times are pretty close and I don't recall it
being slow when I first started building, and my code hasn't
changed much... But I did modify a few options such as debug
diagnostics and such as those were causing visual studio to
freeze.

I guess I could perfmon it to see what exactly it is doing.