rename file, execute os, etc at compile time

Johnson Jones via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 7 22:58:16 PDT 2017

On Monday, 7 August 2017 at 12:39:31 UTC, lobo wrote:
> On Monday, 7 August 2017 at 00:07:26 UTC, Johnson Jones wrote:
>> On Sunday, 6 August 2017 at 23:11:56 UTC, Nicholas Wilson
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It is deliberately not possible. reproducible builds security
>>> ect.
>>> have a look at dubs preBuildCommand(?)
>>
>> So it is intensionally preventing me from doing something I
>> should be able to do if I want without issue because it thinks
>> I will harm myself?
>>
>> Why not a compiler switch that enables it? It's blocking
>> something that might be an issue but is almost surely not and
>> prevents the vast capabilities that it would otherwise be able
>> to accomplish.
>>
>> I guess one can always patch the compiler...
>>
>> But Dmd does give an error about security, it usually says
>> that the there are not source code available for compile time
>> or something like that.
>
> How is this a blocking anything when you can do it already with
> nearly every build tool available. Invoke a script or prebuilt
> binary etc. as a target that does the munging for you at
> pre-compile time.

Very easy, it's blocking me from setting up templates that
automatically do what I need when I copy and paste code from one
project to another... ya didn't think about that, did ya? Oh, I
know... you have some way out! I should be able to shoot myself
in the foot if I want... no one should be able to decide what is
best for me except me. They don't like it when I decide what is
best for them and so should abide by the law of reciprocity.