Bug in D?!

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 11 16:41:07 PDT 2017

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 11:34:04PM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Friday, 11 August 2017 at 22:43:02 UTC, Mr. Pib wrote:
> > int and I should be able to append an int without having to worry
> > about the value of the int.
>
> Appending an int to a string really ought to just be a type mismatch error.
>
> We might be able to convince the leadership to do that too, since that
> still fits with the C compatibility guidelines.

I support this.  Changing the behaviour silently is definitely a no-go,
but I'm all for breaking code with wrong or questionable behaviour.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure how likely it is to convince W & A about
this one... they have previously shown resistance to changing char to
int promotion rules, even though it has caused grief elsewhere.

One Word to write them all, One Access to find them, One Excel to count them all, And thus to Windows bind them. -- Mike Champion