git workflow for D

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 4 14:16:29 UTC 2017

On 12/3/17 3:48 PM, Basile B. wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 December 2017 at 20:05:47 UTC, bitwise wrote:

>> or just some specific files? and do I need a separate branch for each
>> pull request,
>
> Yes, yes yes, again. ~master is sacrosanct.

For good reason. If you commit things to your master, and they don't get
merged into the mainline master, now you have a borked master, and you
have to reset it.

One other thing to mention, whenever I update my master from the
upstream fork, I always always specify --ff-only, which means I'm only
going to let you merge if both my master and the upstream master are
exactly the same (i.e. my master is just an earlier version of upstream
master). Even though I never *intentionally* commit to master, this is a
sanity check to make sure I didn't *accidentally* do it.

If you have to reset master, then I recommend reading articles. I always
use this website for any git questions: https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2

Or just do a search on google. You will probably find the answers in
stack-overflow.

-Steve