git workflow for D

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 14:55:50 UTC 2017

On Sunday, 3 December 2017 at 20:05:47 UTC, bitwise wrote:
> I've finally started learning git, due to our team expanding
> beyond one person - awesome, right? Anyways, I've got things
> more or less figured out, which is nice, because being clueless
> about git is a big blocker for me trying to do any real work on
> dmd/phobos/druntime. [snip]

Here's my usual workflow.
1) Fork project
2) Add upstream
3) Create a new branch
4) Make changes
5) Add/Commit to branch
6) Push

I sometimes find myself getting tripped up if I need to deviate
from this. Ideally, I could just make the change, push it, and it
gets accepted. Sometimes though you have to make changes to what
you've done and add more commits and then the master has
additional updates and you may need to handle merge conflicts.

I make fewer mistakes now than when I started, but I'm still
nowhere near as good with it as I should be.