Does dmd not always compile all of the source code?

A Guy With a Question aguywithanquestion at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 16:15:26 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 at 16:10:34 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 at 16:07:41 UTC, A Guy With a
> Question wrote:
>> Noticed several typos that dmd seems to have not picked up
>> initially. Does dmd not compile all source code? I obviously
>> wouldn't expect it to recompile something unnecessarily, but
>> in a few cases I've just seen it not throw errors where it
>> should have.
>
> It depends on how you're invoking it.
>
> In all likelihood, you had typos in uninstantiated templates.
>
> Atila

I'm not sure how it works underneath the covers, but I'm not
currently working with a ton of templates explicitly. I am
utilizing interfaces and some generic container types, which I
guess might mean templates underneath. However, if an abstract
class with a generic parameter translates itself to a template
underneath the covers, I still would expect it to throw an error
if I have a clear syntax problem. If it's not, that's pretty
unacceptable actually for it not to.