Sort characters in string

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 18:32:03 UTC 2017

On 12/06/2017 04:43 AM, Fredrik Boulund wrote:
 > On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 at 10:42:31 UTC, Dgame wrote:
 >

 >> Or you simply do
 >> ----
 >> writeln("longword".array.sort);
 >> ----
 >
 > This is so strange. I was dead sure I tried that but it failed for some
 > reason. But after trying it just now it also seems to work just fine.
 > Thanks! :)

As a general comment, sorting a string does not make sense in general
when Unicode is involved. For example, there may be combining diacriticals:

     // Three characters: e, a, and combining acute accent U+0301
     writeln("eá".array.sort);

prints

aé

So, the accent moves from a to e, which probably is not the intention.

Ali