Debugging shared libs on windows

Tofu ninja katemmons0 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 19:28:23 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 at 22:59:17 UTC, user1234 wrote:
> On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 at 21:17:55 UTC, Tofu ninja wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 at 21:12:20 UTC, Tofu ninja
>> wrote:
>>> I am compiling with -m64 -shared -debug -g and a .pdb is
>>> generated but visual studio says the dll was not compiled
>>> with debug information, am I missing something or is this not
>>> supported?
>>>
>>> DMD32 D Compiler v2.076.0
>>
>> Actually never mind, -gf worked....
>
> what is -gf ? it's not documented here
> https://dlang.org/dmd-windows.html#switches

dmd has this in the help
-gf              emit debug info for all referenced types

I dont know why that made it work, I feel like -g should have
still made it at least recognizable for a debugger but it didn't
think it was compiled with debug info. My suspicion is it
compiled debug info for the import .lib but not for the DLL
itself and -gf forced it to do the dll too. But I haven't
confirmed that.