DMD Windows 64bit target - how to setup the environment?

realhet real_het at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 29 14:37:22 UTC 2017

Thank You for fast help! I just reply late because I wanted to
try out many things.

With Benjamin's list it was indeed easy to set up the environment.
I also installed LDC and it worked without problems too.
Made some tests about sse vectorization and it turned out that
I'm in love with LDC now :D
(
https://realhet.wordpress.com/2017/12/29/my-first-impressions-of-64-bit-dlang-compilers/ )

The next thing I wanna test is compiling speed.
As you said, DMD is fast enought to let it just compile all the
project in one run, because it reuses a lot of data it discovered
through the compiling process.
However I had a lot of experiences with Delphi which is a really
fast one (at least on 32bits, without sse vectorization), and on
top of that is uses incremental compilation. Later I got to
Qt+MSVC, and noticed that my 40K LOC not-so-big project takes 40
seconds to compile and another 10 to launch in the debugger. At
the time when the program started, I already forgot why I started
it to debug, lol. So that's why I was happy to find D, an elegant
language that compiles fast, (not as fast as Delphi, 'though, but
it is really comparable to it). So for development, I made a
small incremental build manager thingie: It launches a DMD for
each of the modules, that aren't in its cache. For a 6K LOC,
220KB project i was able to test, it works well: When I modify a
only high level module, it only takes 3 seconds to launch, not 7
while I build it once with DMD. When the object cache is empty,
it takes 6 seconds on all 8 cores, but it has to be done only
once. On Delphi I had usually 0.5sec launch times when I changed
only a few units, so if I have to choose 7 secs of 3 secs, then
it's not even a question.

Anyways,
Thank You for help again!