GC question

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 1 01:40:17 PST 2017

On Wednesday, 1 February 2017 at 06:58:43 UTC, osa1 wrote:
> I'm wondering what
> are the implications of the fact that current GC is a
> Boehm-style conservative
> GC rather than a precise one, I've never worked with a
> conservative GC before.

The GC isn't competitive with the ones you find in GC languages
(Java, Go etc). E.g. Go is now aiming for GC pauses in the
microseconds range.

Resource management in D is rather lacklustre, even C++ does
better imho. D seems to move towards using thread local
ref-counting and making GC optional. I guess that would be ok on
cpus with few cores, but not really adequate on many core CPUs.