GC question

thedeemon via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 4 20:02:38 PST 2017

On Saturday, 4 February 2017 at 12:56:55 UTC, osa1 wrote:
> - Automatic but conservative. Can leak at any time. You have to
> implement manual management (managed heaps) to avoid leaks.
> Leaks are hard to find as any heap value may be causing it.

By "managed heap" I just meant the GC heap, the one used by "new"
operator.
Besides it, there are already other allocators and container
libraries available, don't need to implement this stuff manually.

> the worst of both worlds.

It may look so from a distance. But in my experience it's not
that bad. In most software I did in D it did not matter really
(it's either 64-bit or short lived programs) and the control D
gives to choose how to deal with everything makes it all quite
manageable, I can decide what to take from both worlds and hence
pick the best, not the worst.