Is autodecoding being phased out?

Seb via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 21 07:18:36 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 at 14:46:10 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> I (finally) managed to build the development build of dmd, with
> libraries. When testing if it compiles a Hello World program
> (it does, no problem) I got these messages:
>
> C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\phobos\std\stdio.d(2716,24):
> Deprecation: function std.utf.toUTF8 is deprecated - To be
> removed November 2017. Please use std.utf.encode instead.
> C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\phobos\std\stdio.d(2716,24):
> Deprecation: function std.utf.toUTF8 is deprecated - To be
> removed November 2017. Please use std.utf.encode instead.
> C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\phobos\std\stdio.d(2727,40):
> Deprecation: function std.utf.toUTF8 is deprecated - To be
> removed November 2017. Please use std.utf.encode instead.
>
> If I output a dstring instead, those messages vanish. Does that
> mean we're getting rid of autodecoding?

Sadly no. Just of old pre auto-decoding code.

> If that's the case, have nothing against that. In fact it is
> nice to have that deprecation to catch bugs. I just thought,
> due to an earlier forum discussion, that it's not going to
> happen because it could break too much code. That's why I'm
> asking...

No - this is just a deprecation of a specific overload of toUTF8.
See this PR for details:

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/5083

However, this deprecation warning was fixed subsequently in:

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/5143

So are you on LATEST? ;-)