Android Status

Ignacious via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 9 10:38:01 PST 2017

On Monday, 9 January 2017 at 08:28:04 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Monday, 9 January 2017 at 00:40:35 UTC, Ignacious wrote:

>>> Oh, that's easy: install the NDK too, as shown on the wiki.
>>> You need the linker that supports ARM from the NDK.  Follow
>>> the instructions from the wiki to compile and link the
>>> binary, simply having ldc do everything won't work.
>>>

>> Ok, after executing
>>
>> $NDK/toolchains/llvm/prebuilt/linux-x86_64/bin/clang
>> -Wl,-z,nocopyreloc --sysroot=$NDK/platforms/android-9/arch-arm
>> -lgcc -gcc-toolchain
>> $NDK/toolchains/arm-linux-androideabi-4.9/prebuilt/linux-x86_64 -target armv7-none-linux-androideabi -no-canonical-prefixes -fuse-ld=bfd -Wl,--fix-cortex-a8 -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,-z,noexecstack -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now -fPIE -pie -mthumb -Wl,--export-dynamic -lc -lm test.o lib/libphobos2-ldc.a lib/libdruntime-ldc.a -o test
>>
>> I get a test elf file with no errors(although 2.5MB for a
>> hello world).
>>
>> I had to do the chmod 755 test
>>
>> then
>>
>> ./test
>>
>> to get any output. Before that no output and no errors so
>> wasn't sure what as going on.
>>
>> Looks like everything is working! ;)
>
> Good to hear it finally works. :D
>
>> Seems like someone really needs to put some time in to getting
>> all this stuff organized and situated
>>
>> Maybe the D language foundation can push some money towards it
>> to get it started off on the right foot?
>>
>> I'll try to get some of the opengl examples on your repository
>> to see if they work soon.
>
> I don't think money is the issue as much as people like you
> trying it on your own platform and documenting any problems you
> find.

ssshhh! Don't say that! Money always help!!! ;)

>>> Cross-compiler toolchains are never simple, consider yourself
>>> lucky for having gotten off easy. :)
>>
>> I realize things are difficult but it's people that make it
>> that way ;) Life would be so much simpler if people would just
>> properly document stuff exactly(or, rather, do what they are
>> suppose to do). (Even windows seems to love to forget to put
>> in descriptions of services, tasks, application descriptions,
>> etc).
>
> I've tried to write up detailed instructions on the wiki.  I'm
> still improving those and plan to spin off those two sections I
> linked you, on how to just build the samples, into their own
> page.  You can contribute any steps you had to take with
> Bash/Ubuntu on Windows with the prebuilt linux/x64
> cross-compiler there, once I put the page up.

Yeah, I found it a bit confusing though. It seems like it is
written up by someone that is working on the core rather than a
newb! ;)

>> The main problem I have had seems to be that UoW uses ver 14.
>> Somehow I was able to upgrade by following docs online(wasn't
>> easy but eventually got there and everything seems to work...
>> I should have documented ;) but I wasn't sure if the process
>> would work. Supposedly ver 16 exists by one has to be part of
>> the dev team or something.
>
> If you know all the steps to upgrade Ubuntu on Windows, you may
> want to document them on the wiki page I will put up or link to
> a good resource that shows how to do it.

I don't because it was all new to me(I didn't know there was even
such a thing as UoW.  I simply searched for the errors I got and
tried different solutions until it worked. Luckily the outcome
worked... which is not always the case.

I think that it would be a boon for D to have some type of well
defined and well planned Android development suite rather than
what seems to be hacked/cobbled together. This would bring not
only more developers to D for android but also to D in general.

I'm gonna try the opengl examples and hopefully the work. The
main problem I see is how to actually write "commercial" apps
using D for android. Can it be done successfully? Nobody knows
because there isn't a history. What are the exact steps, say, to
add ads, or interface with the subsystem? I saw that there is
some way to call some java stuff from D but seems like nothing is
thoroughly tested(most of the work as been just trying to get
things up and running).

I will try to do a better job of documenting my progress now that
I have some faith ;) But right now I'm more of the horse rather
than the guy trying to show him where the water is.