MSVC path on windows

Ryan via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 12 20:07:26 PST 2017

On Friday, 13 January 2017 at 03:21:52 UTC, Jeremy DeHaan wrote:

> I've also thought of parsing the PATH to figure out where dmd
> is installed and extract the info from the sc.ini file.

I have both VS2013 and VS2015 installed. I have to use a project
specific sc.ini file to match each project to the VS
compiler/linker that was used to generate the C libraries it
depends on.

The point is, people may have several versions of MSVC installed,
so I think parsing the sc.ini file would be the safest way to go,
because it will tell you the linker DMD will ultimately use. The
other variables will just tell you what is installed. Also,
depending on the shell you use, those environment variables may
not be reliably set. Which is why Microsoft provides a few
shortcuts for the different toolchain's (e.g.32 vs 64 bit)
terminals.