Compile to C?

Bauss via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 23 06:53:54 PST 2017

On Saturday, 21 January 2017 at 18:38:22 UTC, Nestor wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> Is there a way to "compile" d code to C, similar to what nim
> does?
>
> That would be cool for greater portability.

Nim is able to, because Nim doesn't really compile. The Nim
compiler just translates Nim code to C code and then compiles the
C code.

It's much harder to do properly in D, because D doesn't use C as
a backend, but compiles directly to native.

I'd guess the code generation you'd get from doing so with D
would be absolute horrific to read, because you'll get rid of
CTFE, templates, proper class structure, globals properly stored,
since everything in D is TLS and C doesn't then you'll see weird
constructs everywhere.

If you ask me, it's probably not something you want to do and
there really isn't a reason to do it with D either. D has an
almost 100% compatibility with C already.