GC question

osa1 via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 31 22:58:43 PST 2017

Hi all,

I was looking at D as the next language to use in my hobby
projects, but the
"conservative GC" part in the language spec
(http://dlang.org/spec/garbage.html) looks a bit concerning. I'm
wondering what
are the implications of the fact that current GC is a Boehm-style
conservative
GC rather than a precise one, I've never worked with a
conservative GC before.
Are there any disallowed memory operations? Can I break things by
not following
some unchecked rules etc. ? How often does it leak? Do I need to
be careful
with some operations to avoid leaks? Is a precise GC in the
roadmap? any kind
of comments on the GC would be really appreciated.

Thanks