Funny issue with casting double to ulong

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 3 17:35:10 PDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 03, 2017 at 07:13:45AM +0000, Era Scarecrow via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Monday, 3 July 2017 at 06:20:22 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> > I don't think there's a way to change how the FPU works -- the
> > hardware is coded that way and can't be changed.  You'd have to
> > build your own library or use an existing one for this purpose.
>
>  It's been a while, i do recall there was BCD options, actually found
> a few of the instructions; However they are more on loading/storing
> the value, not on working strictly in that mode. Last i remember
> seeing references to BCD work was in 2000 or so.
>
>  I'll have to look further before i find (or fail to find) all that's
> BCD related. Still if it IS avaliable, it would be an x87 only option
> and thus wouldn't be portable unless the language or a library offered
> support.

Wow, that brings back the memories... I used to dabble with BCD (only a
little bit) back when I was playing with 8086/8088 assembly language.
But I've not heard anything about BCD since that era, and I'm surprised
people still know what it is. :-D  But all I knew about BCD was in the
realm of integer arithmetic. I had no idea such things as BCD floats
existed.

An imaginary friend squared is a real enemy.