Remove instance from array

Igor Shirkalin via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 5 09:15:46 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 5 July 2017 at 16:04:16 UTC, Jolly James wrote:
> On Wednesday, 5 July 2017 at 15:56:45 UTC, Igor Shirkalin wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 5 July 2017 at 15:48:14 UTC, Jolly James wrote:

>>> I would like to know how works: removing
>>>  - the first
>>>  - and all
>>> references to 'i' inside the 'q'.
>>
>> Perhaps, for all references to i it should look like:
>> a = a.filter!(a => a !is i).array;
>
> Thank you! :)
>

> But why a containers so complicated in D?
>
> In C# I would go for a generic List<T>, which would support
> structs and classes, where I simply could call '.Remove(T
> item)' or '.RemoveAt(int index)'. I would know how this works,
> because the method names make sense, the docs are straight
> forward.
>
> Here in D everything looks like climbing mount everest. When
> you ask how to use D's containers you are recommended to use
> dynamic arrays instead. When you look at the docs for
> std.algorithm, e.g. the .remove section, you get bombed with
> things like 'SwapStrategy.unstable', asserts and tuples, but
> you aren't told how to simply remove 1 specific element.

I don't know c sharp, but I can tell everything about c++ and
python. To climb a everest in python you have to know almost
nothing, in c++ you have to know almost everything. In D you have
to be smarter, you do not need to climb a everest but you have to
know minimum to do that. Spend a year in learning and get the
best result in minutes).