Fiber based UI-Toolkit

Gerald via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 10 19:40:17 PDT 2017

On Monday, 10 July 2017 at 14:03:59 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2017-07-10 15:37, Gerald wrote:
>
>> Having said that, I'm in the camp where this doesn't make much
>> sense. Using fibers on the main UI thread is likely going to
>> result in a blocked UI whenever a fiber takes too long to do
>> its work. History has shown that cooperative multi-tasking
>> typically doesn't work well for UI applications.
>
> It's that basically the whole idea of async/await? Seems like
> Microsoft is pushing quite heavily for that in GUI code.

Thanks for the link, I'm not active with .Net so I had to go look
it up. Reminds me a lot of the way node.js works. If all your
async activity is IO bound maybe it works fine and I'm wrong
about this.

My past experience has been that it's challenging to determine
the appropriate times to yield particularly with a lot of async
activity happening. However with it baked into the framework and
a simplified API maybe it becomes less of an issue.

I'll have to do more reading on it, again thanks for the pointer.