Auto-decoding

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 15 11:47:25 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 15 July 2017 at 18:14:48 UTC, aberba wrote:
> On Saturday, 15 July 2017 at 05:54:32 UTC, ag0aep6g wrote:
>> On 07/15/2017 06:21 AM, bauss wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> 1) Drop two elements from "Bär". With auto-decoding you get
>> "r", which is nice. Without auto-decoding you get [0xA4, 'r']
>> where 0xA4 is the second half of the encoding of 'ä'. You have
>> to know your Unicode to understand what is going on there.
>>
>> [...]
>
> So what is the current plan? :)

Andrei has talked about having a non-auto-decoding path for those
who know what they're doing and actively choose that path, while
keeping auto-decoding the default, so as not to break existing
code.  Jack has been submitting PRs for this, but it is probably
tedious work, so progress is slow and I don't know how much more
remains to be done:

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pulls?q=is%3Apr+auto-decoding+is%3Aclosed