using DCompute

James Dean via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 27 17:39:43 PDT 2017

On Friday, 28 July 2017 at 00:23:35 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday, 27 July 2017 at 21:33:29 UTC, James Dean wrote:
>> I'm interested in trying it out, says it's just for ldc. Can
>> we simply compile it using ldc then import it and use dmd,
>> ldc, or gdc afterwards?
>
> The ability to write kernels is limited to LDC, though there is
> no practical reason that, once compiled, you couldn't use
> resulting generated files with GDC or DMD (as long as the
> mangling matches, which it should). This is not a priority to
> get working, since the assumption is if you're trying to use
> the GPU to boost your computing power, then you like care
> enough to use LDC, as opposed to DMD (GDC is still a bit behind
> DMD so I don't consider it) to get good optimisations in the
> first place.

Yes, but dmd is still good for development since LDC sometimes
has problems.

Can we compile kernels in LDC and import them in to a D project
seamlessly? Basically keep an LDC project that deals with the
kernels while using dmd for the bulk of the program. I mean, is
it a simple import/export type of issue?