It makes me sick!

FoxyBrown via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 28 14:23:22 PDT 2017

On Friday, 28 July 2017 at 13:55:33 UTC, Anonymouse wrote:
> On Friday, 28 July 2017 at 05:14:16 UTC, FoxyBrown wrote:
>> If dmd breaks in strange and unpredictable ways IT IS DMD's
>> fault! No exceptions, no matter what you believe, what you
>> say, what lawyer you pay to create a law for you to make you
>> think you are legally correct! You can make any claim you want
>> like: "The end user should install in to a clean dir so that
>> DMD doesn't get confused and load a module that doesn't
>> actually have any implementation" but that's just your
>> opinion. At the end of the day it only makes you and dmd look
>> bad when it doesn't work because of some lame minor issue that
>> could be easily fixed.
>
> But it's not being installed, it's being manually extracted,
> meaning you can't even have cleanup scripts.
>
> Compare keeping an installation of audio files in mp3 (bird
> calls), and then getting an upgrade where they are in ogg in a
> new neat directory hierarchy. There's an installer that
> properly and cleanly removes the old mp3s before extracting the
> new files, as well as a bonus archive if you want to unzip it
> yourself. Manually extracting it onto the old directory puts
> the oggs next to the mp3s, leaving it with twice the number of
> original audio files. Meanwhile, the official upgrade path
> (installer) properly removes the stale ones. You can't
> reasonably expect your audio player to not list them all there.

So, the program, if it is updated shouldn't use the mp3's then.
Why the hell is the program that you say was upgraded to use the
ogg still searching and using mp3's? You are trying to make up
reasons why it shouldn't work... at least come up with valid
reasons.

Yes, there might be "twice" the files and one might waste space
BUT that is different from the application crapping out and the
end user spending hours trying to figure out what is wrong.
TOTALLY different issues.

We are not talking about "listing" files or anything like that,
we are talking about the app not working because of "stale" files
because it decided to use them, even though it should have been
told not too because the whole point of the upgrade was to
migrate from one set of files to another... and yet some idiot
who programmed the app still had the app use the old files...
it's the idiots fault... not the end user. What if the end user
does a partial restore from some system issues and those mp4's
were restored? Then what? The end users fault when he opens up
the app and it crashes?

Some programmers need to start taking responsibility for the crap
they spew out. What a programmer is creating is effecting many
many end users. It is up to the programmer to do the correct job
to prevent a large factor of end user waste. That is what the
programmer gets paid for.