D move semantics

Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 30 12:03:34 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 30 July 2017 at 16:12:41 UTC, piotrekg2 wrote:
> What is the idiomatic D code equivalent to this c++ code?

There's no direct equivalent of all your code to D using only
druntime+phobos AFAIK.

> class Block
> {
> [...]
> };

Since you don't seem to be using reference type semantics or
polymorphism this should be mapped to a struct, such as

---
import std.experimental.allocator;
import std.experimental.allocator.mallocator;

struct Block
{
public:
     static Block create()
     {
         Block obj;
         obj.data_ = Mallocator.instance.makeArray!char(4096);
         return obj;
     }

     ~this() nothrow
     {
         if (data_ !is null) {
             Mallocator.instance.dispose(data_);
             data_ = null;

     @disable this(this); // Forbid copying
private:
     char[] data_;
}
---

> // What is the equivalent of std::vector, the closest thing I
> could find is
> // std.container.array
> std::vector<Block> blocks;
>
> for (int i = 0; i < 100; ++i) {
>   // NOTE: blocks are moved when relocation happens
>   // because of move-ctor and move-assign-operator marked
> noexcept
>   blocks.emplace_back();
> }

That's the closest one in Phobos AFAIK. There are custom
container implementations out there such as the emsi containers
[1]. If you use one of them, the above should be as simple as

---
Array!Block blocks;

foreach (i; 0..100)
{
     blocks ~= Block.create();
}
---

I've added your example as a unittest to my own dynamic array
implementation, should you wish to have a look [2].

A little bit of background:

Classes are reference types, structs are value types i.e there's
no copy/move mechanics for classes w.r.t. your code. The one for
structs is roughly like this: Whenever the compiler sees a struct
object `obj` being assigned a new value `other`, it will run the
destructor for `obj` (should one exist), then copy `other` over
`obj`, followed by calling the postblit constructor `this(this) {
... }` (should it exist) on `obj`.

In some instances (such as return from function, or first
assignment in constructor, i.e. initialization) the compiler may
automatically optimize the copy to a move.
Assuming the compiler tries to do a copy, it will only work if
`typeof(obj)` is copyable (doesn't have the postblit disabled via
`@disable this(this)`), if it isn't, the compiler will error out;
you can force a move by using `std.algorithm : move`. There's
also `std.algorithm : moveEmplace` in case you don't wish the
target to be destroyed.

[1] https://github.com/economicmodeling/containers
[2]
https://github.com/Calrama/libds/blob/83211c5d7cb866a942dc9dd8ba1c622573611ccd/src/ds/dynamicarray.d#L351