D scripting in D

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 2 02:39:51 PDT 2017

On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 02:39 +0000, Stefan Koch via Digitalmars-d-learn
wrote:
> […]
> The D compiler is fast enough that it will not break your flow.

This argument may work for you but it definitely doesn't work for me.

Using a language like Python, Groovy, Clojure, Lisp:

1. Edit
2. Run

With D and Go, both of which claim compilation so fast you do not
notice:

1. Edit
2. Compile
3. Run

This is a 50% overhead (*). Even with LiteIDE and Gogland, you have the
3 stage sequence for Go programming, and it is a wee bit annoying.

If and only if you have continuous compilation without manual
intervention, does Stage 2 go away. As far as I am aware there is
currently no continuous compilation framework for D. Now using inotify
, it should be possible. However Meson/Ninja, CMake/Ninja, SCons, etc.
do not support this out of the box. IntelliJ IDEA and CLion should be
able to support this, but D support isn't yet there out of the box
(**).

(*) Clearly a fatuous number, but there is an election in UK, so
fatuous statistics are order of the day.

(**) IntelliJ-Dlanguage project could always do with more eople working
on it.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk