D scripting in D

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 2 11:20:19 PDT 2017

On Friday, 2 June 2017 at 17:22:20 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
> On Friday, 2 June 2017 at 16:13:03 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>> On Friday, 2 June 2017 at 02:06:27 UTC, Mike B Johnson wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Stefan Koch has written a good part of an interpreter for D
>> AST, no? And I guess the lexing and parsing stage doesn't take
>> so long, whereas not having to link saves much time.
>>
>> So is there any way to repurpose his work on ctfe to have an
>> interpreter that you can call at run time, set context for and
>> get return values back?
>
> No there is not.
> First it's woefully incomplete and secondly it's tightly bound
> to dmd, and it's semantic phases

Maybe it's incomplete today, but some day it will be or could be
finished. And whilst I understand the difficulty of working with
the dmd codebase as it's structured today, why is it
intrinsically a problem that your work is bound to dmd?

T - interesting idea about ldc though that's a bit slower than
dmd.