D for Web Development?

Michael Reiland via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 8 00:32:44 PDT 2017

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a web solution that's:

1. Supported on Linux
2. Statically typed,
3. Reasonably performant,
4. Reasonably productive.
5. Simplicity (in terms of infrastructure and the language
itself).

The contenders as I see them are .Net Core, Go, and D.

I know next to nothing about Go and D and I've never attempted to
use .Net Core.

I'd like to evaluate D, but since I'm so ignorant I thought I'd
post here for people's thoughts.

It seems as though vibe.d is the most prevalent framework, and
even has a book about it here:
https://www.amazon.com/D-Web-Development-Kai-Nacke/dp/178528889X/

A few questions:

- Is vibe.d the recommended way of doing web work?
- Is that book worth purchasing?
- Does D have a good library for accessing Postgres?  I see
several listed but I don't know what the most stable would be for
production:
https://wiki.dlang.org/Libraries_and_Frameworks#Databases

- Why is D a better solution than Go or .Net Core?  Is there
something else you would recommend given what I'm looking for?

Here's my take on the last one.

.Net Core is still immature and probably the most complex in
terms of infrastructure setup/maintenance.  And my impression is
that Go vs D in the web space is more about personal preference
than any particular advantage, and I'm coming from C++ so I think
D would be more my cup of tea.

But that's just my impression from some initial googling.

thoughts?  recommendations?