libc dependency

Honey via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 19 14:01:35 PDT 2017

On Monday, 19 June 2017 at 20:26:43 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Monday, 19 June 2017 at 20:20:23 UTC, Honey wrote:
>> Is it correct that D produces executables that depend on libc?
>
> Usually yes, since that makes sense for most programs on
> operating systems, but you can pull it out if you want to for a
> specialized task. (Really, same boat C is in.)

Thanks, Adam!

To elaborate on my second point: if one compares, say, FreeBSD's
libc [1] with glibc [2] it is pretty obvious that not all
implementations are optimized to the same degree.

Does it make sense - at least in cerain cases - to provide and
use a D implementation that is fast on all platforms, instead?

[1] https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/lib/libc/
[2] https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=tree;hb=HEAD