libc dependency

Honey via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 19 15:41:52 PDT 2017

On Monday, 19 June 2017 at 21:35:56 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> It does, but it depends on what you want to replace. What
> specifically are you looking for?

I might need a fast variant of memcmp. Writing it in D seems to
be the natural choice. I see no reason why it should be slower
than other well optimized C implementations. It will probably be
faster than implementations in not so much tuned standard C
libraries.

Actually replacing memcmp does not seem worth the effort.
However, I was wondering whether D could and should be used to
replace more C 'legacy' - for fun and profit. ;-)

> IIRC, Tango did not depend on libc at all. It only used system
> calls. So it certainly is possible.

I heard that Go's standard library is based on a similar approach.

Not depending on libc at all might serve as a marketing
instrument as well.