libc dependency

Mon Jun 19 16:29:46 PDT 2017

On 6/19/17 5:45 PM, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
> On Monday, 19 June 2017 at 21:35:56 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> IIRC, Tango did not depend on libc at all. It only used system calls.
>> So it certainly is possible.
>
> How did they invoke those system calls? They are usually access via libc
> on POSIX systems, so you don't have to implement accessing e.g. vdso on
> Linux yourself.

I may have misspoke. I mean they didn't depend on the library itself. I
think they do depend on the C wrappers.

So for instance, they didn't use FILE *, but instead used
read/write/recv/send.

I don't know what's involved in creating those wrappers, but I can't
imagine it's difficult to do with D (it's probably actually easier than
in C/assembly).

-Steve