libc dependency

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 20 04:26:44 PDT 2017

On 2017-06-20 09:48, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:

> But there is lots of paid resource in the core Go community which makes
> not using "middleware" feasible by providing your own. Also of course
> the Go/C interface is not as clean as is the case in D, so the need for
> Go-specific middleware is much, much higher. As D can call C linkage
> libraries, and libc is a library for interfacing to OSes, use it, get
> the abstraction, pay the (small) price, get someone else to do the
> maintenance.

Yes. But it would be nice to not be dependent on glibc. If we could use
musl it would be a lot easier to create our own tool chain (and get full
support for static liking). Avoiding the need to download the C tool
chain to be able to use D. I've heard that many times, especially on
macOS: "oh, you need to download Xcode to use D?".

--
/Jacob Carlborg